1 onion, sliced
1 shallot, sliced
8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup red or white wine (if you have an open bottle in your fridge)
3-4 lbs tomatoes, rough chopped
8 cups vegetable stock or water
1 bay leaf
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
- In a large pot, sauté onion shallot and garlic in olive oil till translucent.
- Add wine and cook 5 mins. Add tomatoes, saute for 10 minutes.
- Add stock or water, bay leaf salt and pepper.
- Cook on low heat for 5-6 hours.
- Allow to cool slightly, remove bay leaf then puree. Return to another pot through a fine mesh strainer.
- Return to heat. Adjust consistency, if necessary with water. Add a few dashes of Tabasco, 2 Tbsp sugar, salt and pepper to taste.